is bluetooth 2.0 speeds supported on freebsd?

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Fri Jan 12 14:56:35 PST 2007

triosoft at triosoft.com.ua wrote:
> -skip-
>> as you can see i got close to 2 Mbit/sec throughput (receiver reports in
>> Mbit/sec and sender reports in Kbytes/sec). numbers look consistent on
>> both sides. in theory bluetooth 2.0+edr  can give you up to 3 Mbit/sec
>> (please correct me if i wrong here), but in real life you unlikely to
>> see this because of protocol header overhead. in this case its protocol
>> stack looks something like
>>
>> tcp -> ip -> ppp -> rfcomm -> l2cap
>>
>> bottom line: it looks like bluetooth 2.0+edr dongles will talk high
>> speed without stack doing anything at all. i'm not sure why do you see
>> low transfer speed, but perhaps it has something to do with obex?
>
> Very-very strange... I use obexapp from ports to use FTRN profile, and
> whatever I do I do not get to speeds of EDR. Same thing with kubuntu linux
> 6.06 tls live cd. All works, but slowly. So could you PLEASE try to use
> obexapp between two freebsd boxes to transfer files? or even use obexapp
> to transfer files from and to some EDR-capable device like phone?
> Everything is seems to be that the low speed is "thanks to" some obex
> stuff. but why??? is something from bluetooth 1.2 spec hardcoded in
> openobex or obexapp?

ok, i just tried to transfer 7 mbytes file from one box to another using
bluetooth 2.0+edr dongles and obexapp.

i can confirm that throughput is nowhere near bluetooth 2.0+edr
throughput. i basically get around 55 kbytes/sec (around 440 kbit/sec)
which is way too low.

i do not think that this has anything to do with the dongles or the
stack (because i demonstrated about 2 mbit throughput with lan profile
and ttcp), so it could only be either obexapp itself on openobex library.

btw, what tool did you use on ubuntu linux to transfer files over obex?
can you tell it uses openopex library as well?

in the mean time, i'm going to take a look at obexapp and see if i
goofed anywhere.

> And one more question, I hack a bit
> src/usr.sbin/bluetooth/hccontrol/util.c to fully dump and describe all 8
> bytes of features. Is it worthy to post patches here?

yes

thanks,
max