Bluetooth Device Failing to Initialize

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Wed Jan 11 16:39:53 PST 2006

Hello,

> I am have a problem with a linksys usbbt100 bluetooth
> dongle.

lets see...

> I am running
>
> 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Jan  7 08:48:40 CST
> 2006

ok

>>From dmesg I get this
>
> ubt0: vendor 0x0a12 product 0x0001, rev 1.10/5.25, addr 2
> ubt0: vendor 0x0a12 product 0x0001, rev 1.10/5.25, addr 2
> ubt0: Interface 0 endpoints: interrupt=0x81, bulk-in=0x82,
> bulk-out=0x2
> ubt0: Interface 1 (alt.config 5) endpoints: isoc-in=0x83,
> isoc-out=0x3;
> wMaxPacketSize=49; nframes=6, buffer size=294

looks fine to me

> I have setup the /etc/rc.bluetooth file as described in the
> handbook, and am using the ng_ubt module that is said to be
> the correct one.
>
> When i run
>
> /etc/rc.bluetooth start ubt0
>
> I get
>
> bash-2.05b# /etc/rc.bluetooth start ubt0
> BD_ADDR: 00:0c:41:e2:01:84
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0xf 00 00 00 00 00
> <3-Slot> <5-Slot> <Encryption> <Slot offset>
> <Timing accuracy> <Switch> <Hold mode> <Sniff mode>
> <Park mode> <RSSI> <Channel quality> <SCO link>
> <HV2 packets> <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log>
> <CVSD>
> <Paging scheme> <Power control> <Transparent SCO data>
> Max. ACL packet size: 192 bytes
> Number of ACL packets: 8
> Max. SCO packet size: 64 bytes
> Number of SCO packets: 8

everything above looks fine

> Could not execute command "initialize". Device not
> configured

this is *very* strange.

1) did you check your /var/log/messages to see if device has detached?

2) can you please run as root the following commands

# ngctl types

# ngctl li

# ngctl status ubt0:

# ngctl status ubt0hci:

after you have executed "rc.bluetooth start ubt0" and got the error.

> if i run
>
> hccontrol -n ubt0hci initialize
>
> i get
>
> bash-2.05b# hccontrol -n ubt0hci initialize
> Could not execute command "initialize". Device not
> configured

please run the commands above and send me the output.

> I am running hcidump at the same time, which doesnt seem to
> see the initialize command;

that is fine. "initialize" is an internal (to bluetooth stack) command.
it only flips a bit inside hci node and tells it that initialization
sequence was performed. you wont see "initialize" command in the hci dumps.

[...]

> The device looks like it is ok, but something freaky is not
> allowing it to initialize properly and subsequent inquiry
> commands just time out. I should also point out that I have
> had the dongle working in Windows Land.

i suspect that device is gone (detached).

> Would this failure to initialize be preventing me from
> successfuly inquiring another device?

yes, because if i'm right and device is indeed gone then you cant do
anything.

thanks,
max