hccontrol and BT 1.2 updates

Markus Brueffer markus at brueffer.de
Wed Feb 22 04:28:06 PST 2006

Hi Maksim,

Am Tuesday 21 February 2006 04:46 schrieb Maksim Yevmenkin:
> > Updated ng_hci.h for bluetooth 1.2:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/bt/ng_hci.h.diff
>
> i briefly looked at this and it looks fine to me. i have just one minor
> comment. you have re-named NG_HCI_OCF_{READ,WRITE}_PAGE_SCAN_PERIOD and
> NG_HCI_OCF_{READ,WRITE}_PAGE_SCAN commands. i guess, you have done this
> so the freebsd name matches the bluetooth name. that is fine. i have no
> objections to this, but we also need to rename these commands in other
> places, i.e.

Oh, that was unintentionally. That was one of the last changes I made to the
header under the assumption it was some of the new code I added myself. I'll
revert that change, doublecheck everything else and commit it to -current
tonight.

> > Updated hccontrol with updated vendor list, feature reporting including
> > bluetooth v1.2 and v2.0 and updated version strings for HCI and LMP
> > according to the official description:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/bt/hccontrol.diff
>
> this looks fine. to my taste, it has some extra verbosity, i.e.
>
> HCI version: Bluetooth HCI Specification 2.0 [0x3]
> LMP version: Bluetooth LMP 2.0 [0x3]
>
> but, again, its just me.

I chose those strings because they seem to be the official version strings:
https://www.bluetooth.org/foundry/assignnumb/document/hci_assigned_numbers
https://www.bluetooth.org/foundry/assignnumb/document/link_manager_protocol

Any opinions from the other mailinglist readers?

> > The latter one reports versions and features on a Belkin BT 2.0 dongle as
> > follows:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/bt/bt20features.txt
>
> looks great!
>
> > I think, at least the version reporting part and the updated vendor list
> > could be added to our current hccontrol.
>
> agreed. please commit and mfc it to releng_6,5.

Cool, will do so tonight.

> > I'm currently thinking about incorporating libhci, which I'm currently
> > writing, into libbluetooth, like the bluez people do since recently and
> > would like the future hccontrol to be based on it where possible. Any
> > thoughts?
>
> i looked at the code in your home directory on freefall. is this the
> latest version?

The latest version already contains all bluetooth 1.2 function equivalents
that are available in bluez's hcilib. More will be added in the process of
updating the hci layer and hccontrol to full 1.2 support. I still have to
test a lot of them, so it will take some days until I can send you a usable
version for review.

> also, i think you should go ahead and start committing libhci(3) code.
> once its done, hccontrol(8) should be converted to use libhci(3).

Great!

> i have your request to include support for bluetooth device enumeration
> and will try to implement it soon. is there anything else we need for
> libhci(3)?

Oh that's awesome! With this we can make the -n parameter of hccontrol
optional and use the first found hci device by default. As far as I can tell,
there is nothing else needed for now.

Markus

--
Markus Brueffer    | GPG-Key: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~markus/markus.asc