mouse battery status?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Apr 6 13:48:45 UTC 2006

Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> What about a simple tiny kernel module that can maintain these and other
>> tweaks related to bluetooth?  Like a btmon.ko?
>
> This seems overly complex. Can you not just add an entry in your
> syslog.conf to filter messages from bthidd?  I have not tried this, but
> syslog.conf(5) on appears to show that it is possible, eg:
>
> !bthidd
> *.*	|/usr/bin/batmon
>
> though I'm not so sure what the 'batmon' program would do - it can extract
> the battery reports at least, but can't really do anything with them.
> Probably better to just feed bthidd output to a logfile and get a user
> program to parse it. You could add a commandline option to bthidd to make
> it do special logging of the battery information, eg add
>
> if (battery_log)
> 	syslog(LOG_LOCAL7, "%s %d", bt_ntoa(&s->bdaddr, NULL), val);
>
> to the battery report section which might make parsing easier, and use
> something like
>
> !bthidd
> user.local7		/var/log/bthidd.batlog
>
> so you dont have to worry about all the other stuff. Then, your user
> program will just have to open battery.log and sit in a read() loop to get
> what it needs.

I suppose logging it, and having a monitoring daemon read the log is ok,
but for tools that want to just probe every X minutes and report the
level, it isn't as slick.

The idea of a module would be more generic, so it could monitor all
kinds of bluetooth related things, and allow a simple control interface
to flip knobs if needed, very much like ACPI battery status is.  I was
thinking of a sysctl tree like:

bluetooth.mouse.battery_level
bluetooth.keyboard.battery_level
etc..