mouse battery status?

Iain Hibbert plunky at rya-online.net
Thu Apr 6 07:51:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Eric Anderson wrote:

> What about a simple tiny kernel module that can maintain these and other
> tweaks related to bluetooth?  Like a btmon.ko?

This seems overly complex. Can you not just add an entry in your
syslog.conf to filter messages from bthidd?  I have not tried this, but
syslog.conf(5) on appears to show that it is possible, eg:

!bthidd
*.*	|/usr/bin/batmon

though I'm not so sure what the 'batmon' program would do - it can extract
the battery reports at least, but can't really do anything with them.
Probably better to just feed bthidd output to a logfile and get a user
program to parse it. You could add a commandline option to bthidd to make
it do special logging of the battery information, eg add

if (battery_log)
	syslog(LOG_LOCAL7, "%s %d", bt_ntoa(&s->bdaddr, NULL), val);

to the battery report section which might make parsing easier, and use
something like

!bthidd
user.local7		/var/log/bthidd.batlog

so you dont have to worry about all the other stuff. Then, your user
program will just have to open battery.log and sit in a read() loop to get
what it needs.

iain