No route to host for bluetooth devices

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Wed Nov 16 14:14:15 PST 2005

Eric,

>>> I could not find that message anywhere (dmesg, or /var/log/messages).
>>> Only thing I saw was:
>>> WARNING: attempt to net_add_domain(bluetooth) after domainfinalize()
>>> which I believe is harmless.
>>
>> /etc/rc.d/bluetooth uses err() and warn() from /etc/rc.subr to
>> complain about errors. both err() and warn() use /usr/bin/logger to
>> send messages. according to the logger(1) man page it uses default
>> user.notice priority.
>>
>> could you please try to run as root
>>
>> # logger foo
>>
>> and then check your /var/log/messages to see if you got "foo" line in
>> there.
>
> As root or regular user, I see the foo message in /var/log/messages.

thats good.

>> if you dont, then verify syslogd(8) is runnig and check your
>> /etc/syslog.conf to see where do you redirect *.notice messages (or
>> more specifically user.notice).
>>
>> i will double check if there is an ordering issue, i.e. devd(8) is
>> started before syslogd(8) and thus error messages are not logged.
>

> Here's my syslog.conf:

[...]

> *.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err

*.notice should go into /var/log/messages. so you should have seen the
error message from /etc/rc.d/bluetooth there. did you check
messages.{1,2,...} files? may be it was rotated?

i'm pretty sure that on my system syslogd(8) starts before devd(8). so
at this point i do not know why you did not get error message from
/etc/rc.d/bluetooth. i will try to simulate the error on boot to see
what is going on.

[...]

>>> Ok, thanks.  This is a laptop, with an internal bluetooth adapter.  I
>>> can reboot again and see if it does the same thing a second time.  It
>>> could be a timing issue.
>>
>> i have updated my system to the most recent -current, and booted with
>> bluetooth usb dongle (3com) attached. no problem here. so i guess
>> there is something about your internal bluetooth adapter that makes it
>> bad. do you have, like, bluetooth on/off button on you laptop? what
>> laptop do you have?
>
> I have a Sony VGN-A170P laptop, which does indeed include a switch.  I
> verified that the switch was on, and the blue light that indicates the
> bluetooth is running was lit.  The switch also controls the wireless
> card, which was working fine at the time.  I also tried switching it
> off, waiting until the blue light went away, and then switching it back
> on, with no change. Only running the bluetooth script helped.

hmm... i'm surprised that switch did not help. on some laptops bluetooth
button/switch usually makes internal device to disconnect/connect. in
this case devd(8) will get detach/attach event which will trigger
'bluetooth stop/start'. perhaps the switch only controls the light? or
may be the radio part of the device, i.e. device will always stay
attached, but the radio is powered off? did you try to turn switch off
and then bluetooth stop/start? does it give you the same timeout error?

thanks,
max