Laptop Networking via BT cell phone

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Mon May 9 13:29:29 PDT 2005

Daniel,

> Has anyone been able to get internet access on a freebsd system
> connected to a cellphone with BT? Also, would I have better luck with

yes, many people have done it. it should be pretty straight forward with
any bluetooth capable phone.

> certain phones/providers? I'd like to go with T-Mobile in which case the

just make sure the phone supports Dial-Up Networking (DUN) profile.
although, i will be surprised if you find a bluetooth capable phone that
does not support DUN :)

as far as provider goes, you need to make sure your provider of choice
has good gprs coverage in the desired areas. if you do not have gprs
coverage (but have gsm coverage), you sill might be able to make CSD
(Circuit Switched Call - voice), but it will be very slow 9600 baud.

> only phone i really like is the razor. I heard you need some software in
> windows called "motorolla tools" to use the cellphone for internet
> access...

on windows may be. you should not really need anything that is not
included into default freebsd 5.3+ installation.

thanks,
max