The Bluetooth over Ambicom BT2000 adapter.

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Wed May 4 14:21:18 PDT 2005

Martes,

> No luck with ppp-over-usb.

bad :( if you want i could try to help you to get this working, but we
better take it off the list.

> I am going to install linux on a spair laptop, and attempt to do the
> indigenous install of synce/etc... so that I can see if the issue truely
> is the ms-chap thing.  I did find that my settings were for an exchange
> server, hence the connection attempts/failures looking as they did prior
> to the ms-chap.  After removing the exchange server info, I realized

ok, we have official disconnect now :) how does exchange server came
into this mess? :) do you mean "exchange server" as "microsoft exchange
server", i.e. mail server?

> that the authentication/usb ppp problem will not even let me associate
> the pda with the bsd box.  I have nothing in the drop-down menu.  Now,
> instead of just a connection failure, it just does not connect, and the
> pda tell me that I have to associate the pda with a pc first.  Hence, I
> am back where I started.

i think we should take this off the list and go back to the beginning.
so you have a pda that runs some soft of microsoft operating system,
right? you also have a some sort of usb cable/cradle that you could plug
into into your pda (the other end obviously goes into your pc), right?

lets forget everything else for now. what happens on bsd when you just
connect pda and pc with the usb cable? does bsd recognize that you have
plugged the cable? what driver (if any) gets attached? ugen(4),
uvisor(4), ucom(4), uftdi(4) etc? /var/log/messages should tell you
that. also running "usbdevs -dv" as root should tell you which usb
devices are attached.

> I posted on the synce list like three times, and no one will even bother
> to reply, including the "developers."  There is a freebsd developer, and
> he has not made an appearance, after a few directed emails.  Man, this
> should not be so difficult.

no, it should not. just need to understand what exactly is the problem.

> Thanks for the attempts to help.  I did eventually get a bluetooth usb
> adapter, however, there is no clear way to make the pda sync with the
> bsd box, anyhow, so even if we were able to get the adapter to work, I
> would not have found any clear method of installation anyway.  All the
> bsd bluetooth stack stuff is working, I just can't figure out how  to
> make the pda "pair" with the bsd box.

"pairing" is handled by hcsecd(8) daemon. you need to add an entry for
your pda in /etc/bluetooth/hcsecd.conf (see the file and the man page
for details) and then run hcsecd(8) as root.

> When I try, I get nothing from the bsd box.  I think that I am suppose
> to turn on some services, however, no one know what one are required to
> make pocketpc recognize that it should "pair" with the bsd box.

"pairing" has nothing to do with the services. the idea of "pairing" is
to create pre-shared key which both devices can use to encrypt data.

> Any further information would be very helpful.  I have read through
> about three howtos, and all are geared towards nokia smartphones with
> bluetooth, or just a bluetooth phone.  None say what I am supposed to do
> to make my bsd box "searchable" to other bluetooth devices.

your bsd box is "searchable"/"visible"/whatever by default. the reason
is that you getting nothing from bsd box is because (like you said) you
do not run any services. at least you should start service discovery
daemon (sdpd(8)) after you start bluetooth stack. as root type
"/usr/sbin/sdpd". after that you should be able to check if daemon is
running by "/usr/sbin/sdpcontrol -l browse" as root.

service discovery daemon (sdpd(8)) provides Service Discovery Service
that other bluetooth devices (such as your pda) can use to discover
other services that you have on your pc.

note: both sdpd and hcsecd should only be started once (after you start
bluetooth stack for the first time). once started these daemons will run
until you reboot your pc. you can start/stop bluetooth stack while these
daemons are running.

> I also emailed the Ambicom people. They are completely unhelpful.  They
> just seemed to restate my questions.  I have attached this useless
> exchange.  Maybe you can let me know, via translations, what the heck
> these people were talking about.  I think that one of them actually
> emailed the other asking what a "baudrate" was..... :/

at least they said something about 14400 (14.4Kbps). i did not expect
you would get anything other then "canned" reply - you are not using
"supported" os, so get lost.

thanks,
max