Problem with Logitech Mx900 again

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Tue Jun 21 06:58:06 GMT 2005

В пн, 20/06/2005 в 13:57 -0700, Maksim Yevmenkin пишет:
> Hello Vladimir,
>
> > At some moment my Mx900 stop work when connected directly to notebook BT
> > adapter.
>
> please explain. what os runs of your notebook? what software were you
> using on your notebook?

Mostly 6-CURRENT :-), with FreeBSD NG bluetooth stack and userland
from /usr/src/usr.sbin/bluetooth/.

Sometimes Native WinXP Home, with Sony BluespaceNE bluetooth software.

> > It does not work in bot WinXP and FreeBSD (works for both before), but
> > it still works with native cradle.
>
> what do you mean with native cradle? is it some sort of wired interface?
> bluetooth usb receiver? or bluetooth usb receiver which os detects as
> usb mouse (i.e. bluetooth usb receiver with hid proxy feature activated)?

Native cradle of Mx900. It looks like hid proxy for me (seen from
freebsd as usb mouse). But by manual it can work as BT hub with specil
winXP drivers, never install these drivers and seen this feature
(without drivers it looks like usb mouse under winXP too).

> > Nothing was changed in notebook, nothing in FreeBSD kernel/userland when
> > problem arise.
>
> ok
>
> > mouse still pingable with l2ping:
> > # l2ping -a mouse
> > 44 bytes from mouse seq_no=-664775869 time=327.503 ms result=0
> > 44 bytes from mouse seq_no=-664775869 time=22.231 ms result=0
> > ^C
>
> that is a strange sequence number, but i do not think this is your problem.

Just after problem occurs ping responses was returned with huge timeout
(like 5 sec). But after some reset cycles (with batteries removal) it
start to reply faster.

> > # bthidd -d
> > bthidd[1486]: Opening outbound session for 00:07:61:17:9b:27 (new_device=1, reconnect_initiate=1)
> > bthidd[1486]: Could not connect to 00:07:61:17:9b:27. Socket is not connected (57)
>
> not good.
>
> > (cp /dev/null /var/db/bthidd.hids, before, all possible reset and reconnects on mouse initiated)
>
> just a suggestion - you might want to disconnect batteries from the
> mouse and leave it like that for few (10-15) minutes. just to make sure
> it "forgets" everything.

Yes, I've tried to remove batteries, even for some days (this I meant
under "all possible resets").

> > there hcidump while this operation
> > # hcidump
>
> next time *please* send me binary dump

ok

dump with last attempt with pin-code in attachment.

> > Any hints what it is and how can be cured ?
>
> from what i can see, it looks like the mouse does not like new host.
> most hid devices will "lock" on the first device that contacted it. that
> is why you need to "reset" the mouse to make sure it "forgets" about
> previous host.

Looks like it resets to native cradle and do not want to learn new pair.
Sometimes, after my attempts to reset, it even does not want to connect
with cradle.

> another thing you could try to do is to force paring between the mouse
> and pc. you need to know default pin-code for the mouse. check the
> manual to see if its there, if not - try "0000" - four zeros.

Yes, some on-line FAQ for that mouse mention 0000.

It looks like hardware problem for me (over one night both OSes stop
stop seen mouse) no reset was initiated, cradle was far-far away from
place where it happens. But, probably there is software solution.

> 1) man hcsecd(8)
>
> 2) man hcsecd.conf(5)
>
> 3) man hccontrol(8)

Already. I've managed to make this mouse work before but ...

> 4) hccontrol help write_authentication_enable

No luck with both 0 and 1.

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
vova at fbsd.ru