Good BT Cellphone support

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Tue Jun 21 00:03:02 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 03:38:23PM -0700, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

> >I'm looking at getting a bluetooth cellphone soon and I am curious at
> >which phones might be the best or have the best freebsd bt support.  I'd
> >like to be able to sync the addressbook at a minimum, but more
> >preferably to also be able to use it to go online or send files too.
> pretty much any bluetooth enabled phone should be able to do what you
> want. i personally prefer ericsson (now sony ericsson) phones. i've
> upgraded from t68m to t630 and k700i. i've also tried nokia phones (6820
> and 6600), but i did not like them that much :)

I can confirm I've had good experience with sony ericcson phones and
FreeBSD bluetooth.

Not much experience with other hones, but from what I've seen so far all
the major makers seem to have got the bluetooth protocol right in their
products.

> >I guess there are several protocols involved.  Sync support either comes
> >in it's own sync protocol or is achieved by rfcomm and the standard
> there are couple ways.
> 1) you could use serial port profile and standard AT commands set
> (gammu, gnokii). this should work with many phones. this way is
> typically used with nokia phones.
>
> 2) use OBEX/IRMC protocol. obexapp(1) from FreeBSD ports collection will
> allow you to pull entire phone books/calendar/etc. from the phone.

He will have to play with shell/perl/python/ruby/your preferred language
here to get it really right.

In fact I'd like to see something to synchronize from palm/phone/other
things to an ldap address book. But I've seen nothing ready so far...and
ldif format is a pain and quit messy.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>