problem pairing with a Sony-Ericsson T610

Guido van Rooij guido at gvr.org
Fri Jul 2 02:25:06 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:21:36AM -0700, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

> > During the pairing attempt, hcidump shows:
> > > HCI Event: Connect Request(0x04) plen 10
> > < HCI Command: Accept Connection Request(0x01|0x0009) plen 7
> > > HCI Event: Command Status(0x0f) plen 4
> > > HCI Event: Connect Complete(0x03) plen 11
>
> hcidump -x would be more useful :) but it looks like you are trying to
> initiate connection from
> the phone, right? by default freebsd will accept any connection

Yep.

> without authentication. if you
> really want to make freebsd authenticate incoming connections then you need to
>
> # hccontrol -n ubt0hci write_authentication_enable 1

Before issuing this command I got:
beck# ./hcidump -x
HCIDump - HCI packet analyzer ver 1.5
device: any snap_len: 65535 filter: 0xffffffff
> HCI Event: Connect Request(0x04) plen 10
  C4 B5 46 07 0E 00 04 02 52 01
< HCI Command: Accept Connection Request(0x01|0x0009) plen 7
  C4 B5 46 07 0E 00 00
> HCI Event: Command Status(0x0f) plen 4
  00 01 09 04
> HCI Event: Connect Complete(0x03) plen 11
  1A 29 00 C4 B5 46 07 0E 00 01 00

then:
< HCI Command: Write Authentication Enable(0x03|0x0020) plen 1
  01
> HCI Event: Command Complete(0x0e) plen 4
  01 20 0C 00

and after a new attempt:
> HCI Event: Connect Request(0x04) plen 10
  C4 B5 46 07 0E 00 04 02 52 01
< HCI Command: Accept Connection Request(0x01|0x0009) plen 7
  C4 B5 46 07 0E 00 00
> HCI Event: Command Status(0x0f) plen 4
  00 01 09 04
> HCI Event: Connect Complete(0x03) plen 11
  1A 29 00 C4 B5 46 07 0E 00 01 00

> on the other hand you might pair devices by initiating connection to
> the phone, i.e. for example try to use obexapp(1) to get phone book.
> the very first time phone asks if you want to add device to the
> trusted list. that is how i do it on my t68i. and if i need to push
> data from my phone to pc i just push it. i do not need to pair devices
> because freebsd does not ask for it.

I am trying to create a situation where my FreeBSD systems starts executing
certain commands when the mobile is in range. I think it is more handy
that the mobile initiates the connection.

> > and then the mobile phone says that the connection failed.
>
> well, it is hard to say its really "failed" because i can not tell
> what status was returned in "Connect Complete" event. next time please
> use 'hcidump -x'.
>
> you also might need to
>
> # hccontrol -n ubt0hci write_node_role_switch 0
>
> if your phone does not support role switch, see "troubleshooting" section at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html

Bingo!

That's it! Thanks a lot!

-Guido