PPP over ATM

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Mar 6 09:10:11 GMT 2005

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Hi,

> > des at des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) writes:
> > > My current ADSL provider runs PPP directly over ATM, instead of PPP
> > > over Ethernet over ATM.  I can get PPPoEoA from other providers, but
> > > I'm not inclined to switch, for a variety of reasons.  Can FreeBSD run
> > > PPP directly over ATM?  If yes, can somebody help me set it up?
> >
> > I should add that I want to do this with a Fore ATM PCI adapter, not
> > some dinky little USB thingy.
> >

> Dag, I think you are a bit mistaken.  You don't need an ATM card for
> this.
>
> Just buy a plain bridged DSL modem, set it up for bridging/transparent
> bridging plug it's ethernet connection into an ethernet port on the
> FreeBSD system, and run PPPoE on that port.

that won't help if it is PPPoA. He doesn't want to do PPPoE(oA)
(where you usually use the bridge and wouldn't have anything todo
with ATM yourself).

That said doing PPPoA on a Fore should be doable by connecting ng_ppp
to ng_atm I guess but I haven't done that myself up to now. You should
have more input from you ISP about PVC etc.?