Netgraph Virtual ATM/Harp driver

Vincent Jardin vjardin at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 21 08:22:10 PDT 2003

Enclosed a link to a patch of the HARP stack and a Netgraph node that provides
a Virtual Physical ATM driver for the HARP stack. It is usefull when you do
not have an ATM board ;-) For example, it can be used to do ATM over UDP
(what a crazy idea !!). See netgraph/regression/memory_leak.sh
For example, there is a non-regression test that shows that the HARP stack can
support a dynamic attachment and detachment of the PIF.

http://vjardin.free.fr/harp/harp_20030421.tgz

Then, based on this VATMPIF, I have enhanced the atm tool in order to add PVC
that supports CBR, VBR and UBR.

There are other features like debugging without recompiling the Kernel,
tcpdump support on the NBMA interfaces, ... and bug fixes against a panic
related to a old code of atm_if.c that were used to clean that addresses and
the route tables.

The debugging supports uses the following sysctls:
          net.harp.atm.atm_debug: 0|1
          net.harp.atm.atm_dev_print: 0|1
          net.harp.atm.atm_print_data: 0|1
          net.harp.ip.ipatm_print: 0|1
          net.harp.spans.spanscls_print: 0|1
          net.harp.uni.uniarp_print: 0|1
          net.harp.uni.unisig_print_msg: 0|1|2

See the INSTALL file. This patch is based on FreeBSD 4.7, however it could be
ported easily for all the releases of FreeBSD that supports both Netgraph and
HARP.

I would be interesed in getting feedbacks about some new features or bugs. I
could not test the UNI, neither the SPANS code yet.

Regards,
  Vincent