Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

Greg V greg at unrelenting.technology
Wed Mar 31 17:31:26 UTC 2021

On March 31, 2021 2:21:57 PM UTC, "Klaus Küchemann" <maciphone2 at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Am 31.03.2021 um 14:18 schrieb Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology>:
>>
>> On March 31, 2021 12:43:15 AM UTC, Thomas David Rivers <rivers at dignus.com> wrote:
>>> I'm wondering why the Mac M1 machines haven't been mentioned?
>>> (Like the newest MacMini...)
>>>
>>> Would they not make a good ARM64 machine?
>>
>> Currently only using virtualization.
>>
>> Someone would have to make lots of drivers to run bare metal. OpenBSD and NetBSD have some already, but I'm not aware of any efforts in FreeBSD yet.
>>
>> Apple hardware is *very* non-standard, they don't even use the GIC, having a custom interrupt controller instead.
>
>well, I have mentioned M1 in post #9 of this long thread as the most interesting …..
>
> really interesting   :
>https://reviews.freebsd.org/R10:3a314eb5bb444ec019457e5aefaabb656fcb3d54

This commit does nothing for *running* on Apple Silicon.

This is about *building* FreeBSD *from macOS* on Apple Silicon. Some people want cross-builds from anything to work.

These things are completely orthogonal.

Someone working on the *running* part would generally have no reason to build FreeBSD on macOS specifically.