Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 23:13:55 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-28, at 15:52, Marcin Wojtas <mw at semihalf.com> wrote:

H Mark,

niedz., 28 mar 2021 o 22:15 Mark Millard via freebsd-arm
<freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> napisał(a):

> On 2021-Mar-28, at 12:48, Klaus Küchemann via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Well, at least u-boot2021.01 has all the needed support to boot a rockpro64 or pinebookpro from nvme/sata/usb/sd/mmc/net.
>>> If you put u-boot into the SPI-flash it will boot from any of the above media.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Søren Schmidt
>>> sos at deepcore.dk / sos at freebsd.org
>>> "So much code to hack, so little time“
>>>

>> yes, I used 2021.04-rcXX( master, self-compiled)… the strange thing on Rock960-board was that it needed some reboots
>> until nvme was scanned correctly in u-boot-prompt.
>> Thean it boots FreeBSD straight up and then hangs on mountroot> ( because there’s no /dev/nda0 or /dev/nvmeXX).
>> I presume an electrical issue since it was once(only once) detected by adding nvme_load=„YES“& nvd_load=„YES“ in rc.conf.
>> The u-boot patch related to nvme on that board also was based on a voltage-change .
>> … I`ll post some debug-output the next hours… (`guess pcie has mem alloc issue from dmesg)…
>>
>> Anyone successfully booting from nvme on any aarch64-board ??
>
> As reported on the list earlier, I plugged a Optane 480 GiByte
> into a MACCHIATObin Double Shot's PCIe in a system that's microsd
> card had the EDK2-variant build from:
>
> https://unrelentingtech.s3.dualstack.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/flash-image-2020-07-01-mainline-tfa.bin
>
> and the system just worked (/dev/nda0). I updated the FreeBSD in
> this configuration and that booted too.
>
> (The Optane was originally initialized while in a amd64 system
> and so was boot-ready when first plugged into an aarch64.)
>
> This is not the MACCHIATObin's normal configuration and things
> were put back to normal after the experiment.
>
> The MACCHIATObin Double Shot has 4 Cortex-A72 cores.

MacchiatoBin has fully opensource firmware, with the mainline
edk2/TF-A one can boot FreeBSD with DT or ACPI. The referenced image
from Greg should also be fine. The only significant interface missing
is the built-in PP2 NIC.

EspressoBin (and Armada 3720 in general) is very well supported -
apart from PCIE, everything should work.

Best regards,
Marcin

===
Mark Millard