Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

Søren Schmidt soren.schmidt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 20:02:43 UTC 2021

On 28 Mar 2021, at 21.48, Klaus Küchemann <maciphone2 at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Well, at least u-boot2021.01 has all the needed support to boot a rockpro64 or pinebookpro from nvme/sata/usb/sd/mmc/net.
>> If you put u-boot into the SPI-flash it will boot from any of the above media.
>>
>> --
>> Søren Schmidt
>> sos at deepcore.dk / sos at freebsd.org
>> "So much code to hack, so little time“
>>

> yes, I used 2021.04-rcXX( master, self-compiled)… the strange thing on Rock960-board was that it needed some reboots
> until nvme was scanned correctly in u-boot-prompt.
> Thean it boots FreeBSD straight up and then hangs on mountroot> ( because there’s no /dev/nda0 or /dev/nvmeXX).
> I presume an electrical issue since it was once(only once) detected by adding nvme_load=„YES“& nvd_load=„YES“ in rc.conf.
> The u-boot patch related to nvme on that board also was based on a voltage-change .
> … I`ll post some debug-output the next hours… (`guess pcie has mem alloc issue from dmesg)…
>
> Anyone successfully booting from nvme on any aarch64-board ??

Yes, both my rockpro64’s and my pinebookpro boots of NVMe just fine, there is one caveat though, for it to work it needs to be a NVMe device that uses as little power as possible (I use older Intel 660 IIRC uses only 3.5W max), otherwise the HW cant cope..

Søren Schmidt
sos at deepcore.dk / sos at freebsd.org
"So much code to hack, so little time"