Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 28 05:00:39 UTC 2021

> Am 27.03.2021 um 18:26 schrieb Andrew Mitchell via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org>:
>
> Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

the simple answer is : no
-

The longer answer is :

RPI4 is the only cheap board offering 8GB RAM (for an unbeatable price),
RK3399 has a 4GB RAM-limit ( don’t misunderstand the Rock Pi N10/ 8GB , because 4GB are reserved for the NPU).

If you think something doesn’t meet your needs with the RPI4 , you can be nearly sure
that other cheap boards also don’t for FreeBSD ( I own some others).
One limitation on the 4B is the missing PCIe- slot, which is (1x lane) available on the CM4- I/O-board,
but for the cost of the loss of USB 3.0 on the I/O-board.
-

The `professional` answer is :

of course , starting @~$500-$700(without accessories like RAM etc.)
you can buy aarch64-dev-boards which completely outperform the RPI4
in performance and connectivity ;-)

-

…and last but not least…

-
 the most interesting answer is :

> Am 27.03.2021 um 18:26 schrieb Andrew Mitchell via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org>:
> ….smoothly ….

:-)

for aarch64 :
if you really want to be SMOOTHLY  HAPPY :-)
: ..   buy an Apple M1 machine……..
and wait what u-boot, "vm-ware" and BSD-OSes will have
to offer (I have "heard "something of that ) …..

-

Regards

K.