RPi and powerd, was: Re: RPI4 clock speeds and serial port ( temperatures idle and -j4 buildworld buildkernel )

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Wed Mar 24 14:35:04 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 12:57:03PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:

>Had a -mcpu=cortext-a72 world and kernel been
>installed and booted first?

yes.

>This does not show ccache being cleared out
>before the below. So the times may be examples
>of "with ccache benefit" times. The contrast
>with mine and Bob P.'s times suggests a
>nice time-benefit can occur.

On this occasion I can't remember for sure if ccache was cleared out.
I don't think so. The numbered list was to show (for me as well) exactly
what was done and the order it was done in.

I'll rm -rf /usr/obj/* and /var/cache/ccache/* if upgrading between
major versions, or if it's not building and need to narrow down why. But
usually leave these dirs intact because (and especially with the ccache
dir) emptying them negates potential speed benefit. make cleanworld &c
*should* remove all the obj cruft in /usr/obj.

--
J.