RPI4 clock speeds and serial port ( temperatures idle and -j4 buildworld buildkernel )

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 17:41:55 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-20, at 08:56, bob prohaska <fbsd atwww.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 03:44:06AM +0100, Klaus K??chemann wrote:
>>
>> as Mark said, powerd isn???t enabled by default in releases , so the freq is @600 by default.
>
> At the time I'm thinking about it would have been -current, most likely. I
> knew of powerd's existence, but never thought to use it until you bought
> the idea up.
>

>> So 17 hours @4x600 .
>> with powerd enabled you should have automatically exactly 4x1500 during the complete compilation time.
>
> The most recent test on the 8GB Pi4 finished in 9 hours. That was after
> running make cleandir twice, but having the installed system and the
> sources relatively close (days) in age, on -current.

So a debug kernel was running? (Non-debug running for my builds.)

Did it include a buildkernel? Or just a buildworld?

At around 9 hours, it would take standardizing on a (equivalent
of) src.conf too be able to well compare your context vs. mine
now, if we ever want to do so. I'll list my file later below
for reference, although I'm probably more likely to try your
src.conf content in my overclocked context than you are
likely to try building via my src.conf like content in your
powerd context.

Welcome to the world of overnight (sleep-time) buildworld on a
small board computer.

> That's with powerd
> enabled, but no other speedup tweaks. Temps were just under  60 C, with
> a fan in the case but no heatsinks on the ICs.

Ambient temperature? (It is the difference that indicates how
well your cooling is working and it is the difference that
is more comparable across contexts. For example, my around
15.5C ambient likely was likely around 10C lower than for
many reported figures.)

>> sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq will definitely show the current freq.
>
> On a Pi3 with GENERIC-MMCCAM kernel  (also running buildworld) it reports
> bob at www:/usr/freebsd-src % sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
> dev.cpu.0.freq: 1200
> also with no other speedup efforts beyond powerd. That machine has heastinks
> on the ICs but only a fan blowing in through the openings in the plastic case.
> It's around 60C.
>
> So far the effects of powerd seems to be uniformly good, with
> no downsides. Next, to try a Pi2 v1.1 (armv7)
>
> Thanks for mentioning powerd, it never crossed my mind.

FYI (not that you are likely to build and run such:

# more ~/src.configs/src.conf.cortexA72-clang-bootstrap.aarch64-host
TO_TYPE=aarch64
#
KERNCONF=GENERIC-NODBG
TARGET=arm64
.if ${.MAKE.LEVEL} == 0
TARGET_ARCH=${TO_TYPE}
.export TARGET_ARCH
.endif
#
WITH_SYSTEM_COMPILER=
WITH_SYSTEM_LINKER=
#
WITH_ELFTOOLCHAIN_BOOTSTRAP=
#Disables avoiding bootstrap: WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_ALL=
WITH_LLVM_TARGET_AARCH64=
WITH_LLVM_TARGET_ARM=
WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_MIPS=
WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_POWERPC=
WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_RISCV=
WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_X86=
WITH_CLANG=
WITH_CLANG_IS_CC=
WITH_CLANG_FULL=
WITH_CLANG_EXTRAS=
WITH_LLD=
WITH_LLD_IS_LD=
WITH_LLDB=
#
WITH_BOOT=
WITHOUT_LIB32=
#
#
WITHOUT_WERROR=
#WERROR=
MALLOC_PRODUCTION=
WITH_MALLOC_PRODUCTION=
WITHOUT_ASSERT_DEBUG=
WITHOUT_LLVM_ASSERTIONS=
#
# Avoid stripping but do not control host -g status as well:
DEBUG_FLAGS+=
#
WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD=
WITH_DEBUG_FILES=
#
# Use of the .clang 's here avoids
# interfering with other C<?>FLAGS
# usage, such as ?= usage.
CFLAGS.clang+= -mcpu=cortex-a72
CXXFLAGS.clang+= -mcpu=cortex-a72
CPPFLAGS.clang+= -mcpu=cortex-a72
ACFLAGS.arm64cpuid.S+=  -mcpu=cortex-a72+crypto
ACFLAGS.aesv8-armx.S+=  -mcpu=cortex-a72+crypto
ACFLAGS.ghashv8-armx.S+=        -mcpu=cortex-a72+crypto

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went