RPI4 clock speeds and serial port ( temperatures idle and -j4 buildworld buildkernel )

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Fri Mar 19 19:50:14 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 08:07:36PM +0100, Klaus K??chemann wrote:

> > Am 19.03.2021 um 18:43 schrieb bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net>:
> >

> > So my figures (~17 hours) seem reasonable for a default clocking.
> > I thought maybe I'd done something wrong.
>

> 17 hours sounds too long, you can simply enable ???powerd??? in rc.conf for automatically
> scaling from idle 600 to max. 1500 (non overclocked).
> So, when you hit make -j4 xyz, you will see all cpus running @~100% and
> Powerd will then automatically set the clock speed  to 1500 on all 4.

I've enabled powerd and rebooted, console messages report that powerd
started with no explicit errors. A -j4 buildworld is running now.

Should I expect to see powerd mess up the default mini-uart serial console?
So far, it hasn't with top reporting less than 1% idle. That's confusing....

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska