rpi4b main-n245392-8423f5d4c12 won't boot due to microsd timeout

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 17:05:58 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-12, at 04:53, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:

> Hi Mark, thanks for looking at this.
>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 09:49:11PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>
>> Note: I use the official snapshot
>>
>> FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20210311-15565e0a217-257277.img.xz
>>
>> and its:
>>
>> # strings /mnt/boot/kernel/kernel | grep 15565e0a217
>> @(#)FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #0 main-n245383-15565e0a217: Thu Mar 11 08:02:52 UTC 2021
>> FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #0 main-n245383-15565e0a217: Thu Mar 11 08:02:52 UTC 2021
>>
>> For some comparisons to what you report about your
>> build.
>>

>> Some oddities in your report that might need to be
>> addressed first to make things more comparable
>> are . . .
>
> [snip]
>
> The reasons for the mismatch/oddities are because this was running head/13 (worked) then upgraded to stable/13 (worked) which I then upgraded to main/14 (also worked) and the msdos partition contents
> haven't been modified in all that time. It's still unchanged.

Then my recommendation would be to not submit
anything until you have tested modern materials.
Possibly duplicate the media and work on the
copy if you want to preserve the content for
some reason.

The test results with modern material would be part
of the evidence to submit, well matching what someone
who works on the problem would use instead of having
the accidents of your history involved that they
would be unlikely to want to duplciate.

> What makes me think it's FreeBSD that's changed is that it boots and runs fine with the stable/14 kernel from the last successful update about a month ago but not with sources downloaded yesterday.

May well be true but testing only with the old
materials a combination that does not come close
to matching what others would use to work on the
problem would be far from optimal.

> The upgrades are all in-place upgrades. I have tried booting the new
> kernel with nothing at all attached via usb and the problem remains. It
> still fails at the same point with the same error.

Good to know.

> Do you think I should make a bugzilla report?

After you have tried a combination of materials more
similar to what someone that works on the problem
would be using. Then report on that basis. Such
is want I recommend.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com