RPI4/8GB i2c not working?

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 22:42:29 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-9, at 10:57, Mark Murray <markm at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I have a RPi4b/8GB with USB SSD HD, and its working very well. I started with the FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20210304-483c6da3a20-257149.img snapshot, and replaced the /boot/msdos/* files with those supplied in the rpi-firmware-1.20210303.g20210303 port.
>
> It's working well, and now that I've built a new kernel with all the non-RPi goodies removed as well as commenting the other -CURRENT debugging gubbins out, its pretty quick!
>
> I2C isn't working though.
>
> All I get in response to "# 12c -s" is:
>
> # i2c -s
> Hardware may not support START/STOP scanning; trying less-reliable read method.
> Scanning I2C devices on /dev/iic0: <none found>
>
> ... with a few minutes of delay between the 2 lines of output.
>
> Maybe the IIC device needs to be changed for the 8GB RPi4? Or something?

You may have to monitor and explore the rpi firmware
versions. Recent activity includes:

QUOTE
Commits on Mar 10, 2021
firmware: brfs: Fix USB bulk-read in start.elf  …
See: Hexxeh/rpi-firmware#258

firmware: hdmi_2711_i2c: Correct handling of start/stop codes for long read
See: #1548
@popcornmix
popcornmix committed 12 hours ago
0591568

Commits on Mar 5, 2021
firmware: hdmi_2711: Rework I2C driver to NOT use the AUTO-I2C block  …
firmware: gencmd: Allow groups of clocks/plls to be read together
firmware: power: Fix DA9090 under-voltage detection
firmware: NVME boot support
@popcornmix
popcornmix committed 5 days ago
1711f63

kernel: Bump to 5.10.20  …
@popcornmix
popcornmix committed 5 days ago
530cfdd

Commits on Feb 25, 2021
firmware: arm_loader: Return all borrowed DMA channels  …
See: #1541
@popcornmix
popcornmix committed 13 days ago
5985247

Commits on Feb 24, 2021
firmware: platform: vl805: Get BAR2 address from PCIe BAR2 registers
@popcornmix
popcornmix committed 14 days ago
END QUOTE

The Feb 25, 2021 one is a tagged version and is what
sysutils/rpi-firmware is currently based on.

(I've no background with I2C use in general
and so am fairly useless in the area for
the RPi*'s as well: just reporting based on
some I2C references that I happen to see
and why the "Feb 25, 2021" vintage was put
to use at the time, part of that being the
Feb 24 item.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com