RPi4 Status and xorg behavior

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 04:00:07 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-8, at 18:33, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 10:56:15AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
>>

>> Summary for current context:
>>
>> (The below presumes that the msdosfs file system
>> involved is mounted on /boot/efi . Adjust as
>> needed for your context.)
>>
>> # strings /boot/efi/start4.elf | grep VC_BUILD_ID_
>> VC_BUILD_ID_USER: dom
>> VC_BUILD_ID_TIME: 12:10:40
>> VC_BUILD_ID_VARIANT: start
>> VC_BUILD_ID_TIME: Feb 25 2021
>> VC_BUILD_ID_BRANCH: bcm2711_2
>> VC_BUILD_ID_HOSTNAME: buildbot
>> VC_BUILD_ID_PLATFORM: raspberrypi_linux
>> VC_BUILD_ID_VERSION: 564e5f9b852b23a330b1764bcf0b2d022a20afd0 (clean)
>>

> On my setup I get
> bob at generic:/boot/msdos % strings start4.elf | grep VC_BUILD_ID_
>
> VC_BUILD_ID_USER: dom
>
> VC_BUILD_ID_TIME: 12:55:10
>
> VC_BUILD_ID_VARIANT: start
>
> VC_BUILD_ID_TIME: Mar  5 2021

So you copied after the area had an update
beyond the tagged commit that modern builds
of sysutils/rpi-firmware are based on now.
(The link was probably published before there
was a tagged status yet and likely was just
pointing to master materials.)

I've not done any experimenting with any commit
with material from after the tagged commit. It
may well work fine --or not.

As I remember, I provided a link that gets to
the tagged material independent of later
commits, should you decide to use such. (Or
you could use a modern sysutils/rpi-firmware
set of materials to get the tagged material.)

> VC_BUILD_ID_BRANCH: bcm2711_2
>
> VC_BUILD_ID_HOSTNAME: buildbot
>
> VC_BUILD_ID_PLATFORM: raspberrypi_linux
>
> VC_BUILD_ID_VERSION: 8ed5b5711855476273c45bb0754d9e23903a42e7 (clean)
>

> Start4.elf was one of the files copied from the link Manu posted.
>
> I've not yet tried commenting out hdmi_safe=1 in config.txt
> but will at the next reboot. Right now the machine is doing
> a world/kernel build.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com