RPi4 Status and sysutils/rpi-firmware (and rng)

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 7 19:54:04 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-7, at 10:08, Robert Crowston <crowston at protonmail.com> wrote:

> You can generate a test file with something like
> head -c 8000000000 /dev/random > yourfile
> md5 before and after to see if they are unchanged. That was how I did my testing.

Great techniques.

I originally did the diff comparison in case an issue was on the
read side of things and to cause it to be less likely that cached
material was being used instead of going back to the media to have
all the stages of processing for most of the reads.

> [As for MicroSD wear&tear: I keep hearing people talk about how unreliable these cards are, but when you ask for hard numbers about lifetime, no one has any. I've had one SD card out of dozens fail on me, despite regularly dd'ing out entire cards -- this is a better failure rate than my mechanical hard disks. SD cards are also very cheap. To me it seems like an irrelevant concern, unless you don't keep backups.]

As I remember, Bob has in the past replaced significantly used
microsd card(s) to get rid of problems. That is what prompted
the thought. I've never had to replace any but some of Bob's
historical usage pattern put a much bigger load on his than
mine ever had. I also do not expect much value from doing the
specific tests, given my tests passed for the issue in question
and prior testing of older FreeBSD versions booted via u-boot.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went