arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 30 18:21:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 12:12 PM Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 10:58:34 -0600 Kyle Evans <kevans at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > 1. fetch https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/
> > 13.0/FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20200130-r357276.img.xz
> >
> > 2. Extract
> >
> > 3. dd
> >
> > 4. Crack open the msdosfs partition, move config_rpi4.txt to config.txt
>
> Note that model specific variables can be specified in
> confg.txt under relevant sections.  See
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/conditional.md

Yup. The final plan is to do so and let RPI3 work for both RPI3+4
OOTB; especially since u-boot has already worked on being able to
support both boards with a single config.

For now, we didn't want to make it seamless because it is quite
dysfunctional -- it's not well-supported and the current status is
effectively just "it boots."

> > 5. Install u-boot-rpi4, copy u-boot.bin over to the msdosfs partition
>
> Linux & plan9 boot without any u-boot.  If the same can be
> done with FreeBSD, netboot can be used to speed up testing
> (even if ethernet doesn't work in FreeBSD).

It's worth noting that U-Boot just gained a genetv5 driver, so
netbooting can also be accomplished there -- we don't have this
version yet, though.

> > 7. Profit, but not much because you can't interact much with the
> > outside world for the moment
>
> Is there a task list for the rpi4? Ideally documented as a bug list!

Not yet! I think the main tasks remaining are reliant on legal process
to get documentation for the closed hardware to write appropriate
drivers, unless someone wants to go through and write ACPI attachments
to be able to boot w/ edk2. That would get us USB without the
proprietary bits that we do not yet have documentation for.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans