arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Thu Jan 30 18:20:34 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:54:38AM -0600, Kyle Evans wrote:

> 1. fetch https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20200130-r357276.img.xz
>
> 2. Extract
>
> 3. dd
>
> 4. Crack open the msdosfs partition, move config_rpi4.txt to config.txt
>
> 5. Install u-boot-rpi4, copy u-boot.bin over to the msdosfs partition

A little clarification here might help. I take it a config.txt file specific
to the Pi4 is supplied in the image, but the resident version of u-boot is
not compatible with the Pi4?

> 6. ???

A few things could be added here, like how to set up multiple partitions
and how to configure swap before firstboot runs away with the show. I've done
it before, but it was a real struggle by hand. I've forgotten much detail.

> 7. Profit, but not much because you can't interact much with the
> outside world for the moment

Hopefully the serial console works. Might there be anything to learn
via the JTAG port? I'm not skilled enough to do it, merely wondering.

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska