SATA on BananaPi M1

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Jan 19 19:37:52 UTC 2020

On 2020-Jan-19 10:17:01 +1100, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:
>On 2020-Jan-18 17:41:44 +0100, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:
>> I've just test SATA on my A20-Olinuxino and it works if I first tell
>>u-boot to detect drives ("scsi scan"). I have the same behavior as you
>>if I don't.
>..
>> Could you test if you have the same behavior ?
>
>Yes.  If I run "scsi scan" then both u-boot and FreeBSD correctly see
>the disk.  Thanks for that suggestion.  This suggests that
>ahci_a10_phy_reset() is missing some magic bits but it also suggests
>where to look for them.

I had a look at the u-boot-2019.10 sources (this isn't the same as the
"U-Boot 2019.07 (Nov 01 2019 - 01:59:08 +0000) Allwinner Technology"
I have on my BPi but I hoped they'd be close enough).  The PHY reset/
init code is functionally the same as FreeBSD apart from a few DELAY()
values.  I tried extending the FreeBSD delays to be the same as those
in the U-Boot sources and FreeBSD still failed to see my disk.

On the positive side, once a "scsi scan" has seen a disk, I can
power cycle the disk and the FreeBSD detach/attach code will correctly
recognize that the disk has gone away or returned.

--
Peter Jeremy