r356835 on rpi2 still waiting for CAM

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Sat Jan 18 23:13:03 UTC 2020

After updating to r356835 my rpi2 still tends to get stuck at
Root mount waiting for: CAM
but the duration varies from a few iterations to many tens.

As an aside, the machine also exhibits very slow initial
reaction to login, taking many seconds to put up a password
prompt and about an equal time to put up a shell prompt.

On a subsequent attempt to reboot the machine dropped into single
user with
Unknown error 3; help!

On running fsck, it again asked

ADD CYLINDER GROUP CHECK-HASH PROTECTION? [yn]

for what has to be the 3rd or 4th time. Utimately the machine
couldn't find da0, so I rebooted. After one complaint about
"bad magic" and another reboot it came up clean, but again with
a long "waiting for CAM" session.

Do the repeated requests to add cylinder group hash protection
suggest bad hardware? Both the microSD card and USB flash drive
are getting old, but apart from these startup problems the
machine seems to run, buildworld and make ports without errors.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska