Showstoppers for RPI3

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Feb 26 22:33:31 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 01:29:57PM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> The US laws are such that the way you do this is you create
> a project page "aarch64 on RPI*'s", and put a donate here
> button to help fund THIS project.
>
> Totally legal.  It is also legal for a non-profit to go to a company
> and say "we are looking for funds to do A, would you be interested
> in making a contribution to help us to A?"
>
> Whats NOT legal is a company going to a 501(c)3 and saying:  "I'll give you $X
> if you go do Y".
>
> Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org

I bungled my question quite spectacularly.

The intent was to get an estimate of how much it would cost to bring an ARM
platform to tier-1 status. The mechanics of how the money gets transmitted
(and to whom) don't matter until at least a rough figure is in hand. That
number, divided among interested donors, would let one calculate if it makes
sense to participate.

As I write this the FreeBSD Foundation donation page at
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/
includes a comment entry box, which seems to invite suggestions.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska