Showstoppers for RPI3

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Feb 26 22:19:46 UTC 2020

On Feb 26, 2020, at 4:17 PM, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:

> On 2/26/2020 3:41 PM, Paul Mather wrote:
>> All fair enough.  I'm probably in the same boat as Bob Prohaska inasmuch
>> as I have a couple of Raspberry Pi devices of varying vintages hanging
>> around.  I'm a longtime FreeBSD user, so, naturally, I prefer to run
>> FreeBSD on these devices, and have done so for a while (with varying
>> degrees of success/stability).
>>
>> It sounds from the above I shouldn't bother, for pain and misery will
>> attend me all my days as a result. :-)
>>
>> If Raspberry Pi is a crappy platform and a bad choice to use,
>> FreeBSD-wise, what is the suggested alternative in the same
>> low-power/low-price (and Raspberry Pi-like spec) arena?  Is it the
>> Pine64 stuff like the PINE A64, ROCK64, and ROCKPro64??
>>
>> I'm willing to buy something other than Raspberry Pi (I have a
>> BeagleBone Black, for example), but I don't want to buy something that
>> is derided and despised by FreeBSD developers and avoided by them like
>> the plague.  I am not an ARM/SoC or electronics expert, so I feel
>> unqualified to know what is a "crappy ARM platform."
>>
>> Also, if the true situation with Raspberry Pi is that it is unlikely to
>> see development within FreeBSD, it would be more honest to deprecate the
>> platform officially on the FreeBSD site.  I'd even go so far as to
>> suggest not to distribute official images for it, as that carries with
>> it a hint of blessing and support.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Paul.
>
> I'm not at all sure that's reasonably fair, to be frank.

I thought given Ian's pretty frank appraisal of the "love" (or otherwise)
of the RPi platform amongst FreeBSD developers, it was a reasonable
conclusion on my part. :-)  But, we can agree to disagree.

I apologise if the last paragraph of my original post seemed overly
despondent.

> I have Pis in both the "2" and "3" vintage running what I consider to be
> production (and important) code.  Other than the issues that ALL Arm
> platforms have (e.g. lldb doesn't work right, so have fun debugging
> things) I've had zero trouble with it.  In fact, I've got uptimes
> recorded in the many-months timeframe, only limited by when the power
> goes off and since I use them in a "NanoBSD" environment I don't much
> care if/when that happens, since the things they talk to go off when the
> power does too, and they've always come back up on their own.
>
> Are they perfect or even "excellent" platforms?  Not really.  The I/O is
> a mess, but if you don't need more "oomph" in I/O capacity than they have
> it doesn't matter (e.g. they make poor routers or firewalls, simply
> because they don't have the necessary "oomph" through the network side of
> things.)

I agree with the above, and, over the long term, I've had great success
with FreeBSD/arm and (to a lesser extent) FreeBSD/arm64 on various RPis.
Lately, however, not so much---at least in the case of FreeBSD/arm64 on an
RPi 3.  I'm using this as a local backup target for Arqbackup via SSH.  As
of the last month(-ish), the system will go off into la-la land after a few
days uptime such that it is only reachable via serial console.  IIRC, the
USB subsystem is complaining about missing/losing interrupts.  (The error
just keeps scrolling repetitively on the console.)  I'm wondering if the
I/O load from the external backup hard drive is precipitating this?  For
the record, it worked smoothly for many many months prior to that.  I'm
using 12-STABLE (r358260 currently).

> I'd be happy to move to something else too, provided it was something I
> can get at a reasonable cost and does the things I need (specifically, I
> need I2c and GPIO for the purposes I put these to.)  But... what is the
> "something" I should move to?

I'm in the same boat.  I'm using RPi probably because the huge "mindshare"
caused me to buy them.  There seem to be a lot of similar "hobbyist"
devices out there, but the choice is overwhelming to me (hence my asking
for specific hints).

Cheers,

Paul.