u-boot-rpi* has the existing "make first page reserved" code (shown); this appears to be where any fix would go (it works without FreeBSD changes)

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 14 09:54:46 UTC 2020

> Am 14.02.2020 um 02:16 schrieb Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com>:
>
> [The sysutils/u-boot-rpi* change is sufficient to
> be a work around allowing existing FreeBSD versions
> to be used (up to other separate problems).]
>> ..
>
> (I make no claim to know the best direction for a
> long term fix.)
>

> ===
> Mark Millard
> marklmi at yahoo.com <http://yahoo.com/>
> ( dsl-only.net <http://dsl-only.net/> went
> away in early 2018-Mar)

Hi,

I really like that you investigate in solving the breakage, thank you!
But your workflow is somewhat in the downstream direction
where it should be on the upstream.
 sysutils/u-boot-rpi* Is somewhat outdated . U-boot is currently v2020. 01 ,
so the direction should be to 1st upgrade sysutils/u-boot to v2020. 01.
After that you „test" 2020.01 , then if necessary you hack it, send a patch
to fbsd-u-boot, and if that patch would be universal to u-boot , fbsd will send the
patch to u-boot itself( if not yet available there).
Or vice versa fbsd will upgrade 2020.01 with a current patch from u-boot upstream .
So the first place where you should look for is the u-boot upstream.
The reason for that is that if we all hack our own versions we will completely
out of sync.
AFAIK ‚manu' ( e.g.  https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23592 ) is responsible
for syncing upstreams, I would recommend you to contact him to ask where and when he wants to go
with u-boot and the DTBs and so on.
I hope this helps a little to send your work to the right addresses…

If you do sync your work with the upstream you absolutely have the right to claim your "long term fix“ . ;-)

Regards
Klaus