RPi4B and self-hosted buildworld buildkernel times: using more than -j3 is a waste in my tests.

Mark Murray markm at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 15 10:14:31 UTC 2020

> On 15 Aug 2020, at 10:00, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 00:23:58 -0700
> Mark Millard via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> So: much less time required compared to the RPi4B at the
>> same clock rate. (The MACCHIATObin has a SATA SSD but
>> buildworld buildkernel is not I/O bound.)
>
> 	Still given the difference in price the Rpi4B doesn't come off too
> badly in the comparison.
>
> 	I keep thinking about the double shot for my next router, do you
> know how well it does PPPoE under FreeBSD (or anything else for that
> matter) ?

I use a MBin DS as a router with a dual ethernet card in the PCIe slot.

It routes between hy home LAN (1Gb) and my WAN router (80Mb) without
cracking a sweat.

It has PLENTY of extra computrons left to do double-duty as  an AArch64
build-box.