ARM64 hosts eventually lockup running net-mgmt/unifi

Ronald Klop ronald-lists at klop.ws
Mon Aug 3 17:44:09 UTC 2020

On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 18:59:26 +0200, Josh Howard <bsd at zeppelin.net> wrote:

> This one has been sort of a pain to narrow down, but on any of:
> RockPro64,
> RockPi4b, or RPI4, if I run net-mgmt/unifi eventually the host just hard
> locks. Nothing over serial, nothing interesting in the logs, no other
> hints,
> so it's not clear what precisely is causing it. For those unfamiliar,
> unifi
> runs both a Java app and a mongodb server. I've tried with openjdk8
> (their
> only supports version) and openjdk11, neither one made any difference.
> I'm
> not totally sure how a userland app like this could cause this to happen,
> but it's getting consistent that it eventually does kill my host.
>
> Any ideas or hints would be great!

I had the same problem. The default amount of nmbclusters is too low. If
they are full the OS becomes very unresponsive.

I run this script hourly. It doubles the amount of nmbclusters if more
than half are occupied.

@hourly bin/nmbclustercheck.sh
[root at rpi3 ~]# more bin/nmbclustercheck.sh
#! /bin/sh

LINE=$( netstat -m | grep "mbuf clusters" | cut -d ' ' -f 1 )
CURRENT=$( echo $LINE | cut -d '/' -f 1 )
MAX=$( echo $LINE | cut -d '/' -f 4 )

if test $CURRENT -gt $(( $MAX / 2 ))
then
         NEW_MAX=$(( $MAX * 2 ))
         echo Increase kern.upc.nmbclusters from $MAX to $NEW_MAX
         sysctl kern.ipc.nmbclusters=$NEW_MAX
fi

Current amount after 14 days of uptime:
[root at rpi3 ~]# sysctl kern.ipc.nmbclusters
kern.ipc.nmbclusters: 19250