Lost my serial console! :-)

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Thu Nov 22 11:28:00 UTC 2018

On 11/21/2018 17:03, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>>> Ok which of PI3B or PI3B+ or is it both that you are having
>>> serial console issues on?
>>>
>>> Also can you try:
>>> 	http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-RC1-arm64-aarch64-RPI3.img.xz
>>> on both boards and report success/failure/problems?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>> RC1 boots on both and I have a serial console on both.?
> Thank you for the testing, I am ccing this reply to RE@ so they
> know we have at least 1 data point that says we can boot our
> release canadate image on both a RPI3B and RPI3B+,
> that is valuable data.
One note -- there is a complaint about umodem.ko missing dependencies
right at the top of the kernel messages on boot and indeed it does not
load out of the loader.conf entry -- but if I load it by hand once the
system is up (or out of /etc/rc.local, etc) it works.  So while it does
indeed boot I wouldn't call it completely "working" (at least not if you
need the umodem kernel module!)

This happens to impact me on these devices (I have a USB device that
"appears" as a serial modem).... it's been broken for a while on
-CURRENT, but I don't know exactly *when* it broke.  On the Pi2 under
11-Stable it hasn't been a problem.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>