Lost my serial console! :-)

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed Nov 21 22:22:22 UTC 2018

On 11/20/2018 09:57, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> Lots.? I have several 3Bs, one 3B+ (since that's the current model), and
>> a passel of 2s. :-)? The 2s are fine but I'm building 11.STABLE for
>> those.? Can't for the 3s, as the code to run those isn't in 11.
> Ok which of PI3B or PI3B+ or is it both that you are having
> serial console issues on?
>
> Also can you try:
> 	http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-RC1-arm64-aarch64-RPI3.img.xz
> on both boards and report success/failure/problems?
>
> Thanks,

RC1 boots on both and I have a serial console on both.  I'll dig through
the .img that Crochet builds and see what I can figure out -- it must be
doing something hinky somewhere and best guess is that it's probably the
DOS partition that has something wrong in it.  As far as I can tell the
3B+ doesn't boot at all on the Crochet build (but I can't be sure since
I have no console -- it never does enable the Ethernet port as I never
see the link light come on) but the 3B does boot and come up -- just no
serial.

I suspect there's a bit of pooch-hosing in the Crochet board file or
(more likely) whatever gets into the dos partition.  If I can figure it
out I'll submit a pull request back at the Crochet people to fix it....
holiday might get in the way of me screwing with it for a bit here.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>