FreeBSD 12.0 RBPI3B+ and hardware clock support

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 21 18:43:43 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 20:31 +0200, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status regarding FreeBSD 12.0 on RBPI3B+ regarding
> support for
> a hardware clock ? Do we have support only for Maxim DS chipsets ?
>
> I download the latest 12.0 RC1 can I simple use the hardware clock
> without rebuilding anything or
> do I really still need to build a new kernel ?
>
> Thank you,
> Stefan

We have support for most major/popular i2c-based realtimeclock chips.
They all get built as modules, so there is no need to build a custom
kernel. You probably will need to identify the chip type and add a
load_xxxxx=YES to /boot/loader.conf to get the right driver loaded. Let
me know which chipset you're using and I can tell you which driver.

You also need an FDT overlay to assign the i2c bus pins and enable the
bus and rtc drivers. Someone else will have to help with that part.

-- Ian