FreeBSD ARM on 32-bit Apple Mobile Devices?

Ganbold Tsagaankhuu ganbold at gmail.com
Tue May 1 01:28:24 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:48 PM, ken olson via freebsd-arm <
freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Recently inherited an iPhone 4S.  Want to only use it for photography and
> audio (no phone or Internet).
>
> Since the 4S is Very hardware challenged would like to reduce the OS load
> as much as possible so am looking for an open-source iOS clone.
> Did find "Project Magenta aims to create open-source iOS clone"
> https://www.theverge.com/2012/6/10/3074746/project-
> magenta-open-source-ios-clone  but nothing recent.
> Had hoped that since all the 32 bit Apple Mobile Devices are now
> unsupported, there would be an interest in utilizing them for application
> specific purposes but to date have not found any groups discussing this.
> Since 32-bit, FreeBSD supports ARMv6 and ARMv7 can FreeBSD ARM run on
> Any 32-bit Apple Mobile Devices?

Theoretically maybe, but if I'm not mistaken only if Apple open their
bootloader codes and some other stuffs like SoC related technical
documentation etc.
Up to now it is impossible and maybe not worth it to try even.
But you can of course do some jailbreak related things, making hooks/tweaks
etc, which is sometimes fun.

Ganbold