GPT vs MBR for swap devices

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Tue Jun 19 21:59:50 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 01:10:15PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> >> It seems clear that USB flash swap, alone or in any
> >> combination, fails early in buildworld.

My statement is now known to be mistaken. Failures happen when
USB flash swap is placed on the same device as /usr. USB flash swap
or USB mechanical swap works fine when placed on a device remote
from /usr

> > I think that's because USB flash can't swap fast enough to keep up with
> > the page demand. You might be able to confirm this by looking at the write
> > rates to the swap portions for the various other media with gstat. I
> > suspect it's FTL is doing more expensive garbage collection under a swap
> > work load leading to long pauses from time to time that the VM system
> > responds to by starting OOM too soon.
> >

> Looking at the data posted, I see that we have a 2s latency averaged over
> 10s. This means that the drive is basically unresponsive. So the average
> latency is 2s. That means that the max latency is likely way more than that
> (likely as much as 10-20s if my experience with SSD latency distributions
> can be trusted). The latency bounces around a bit (and there appears to be
> some missing data), but this is what I expected to see.
>
> Now, maybe we have an issue with the USB stack that's causing this (missed
> interrupts leading to polling 'saving' the day after a massively long time,
> for example), or the USB drives are as bad as I've experiences them to be.
> In any event, if we can't retire the dirty pages fast enough, we'll get
> into OOM to try to cope with too many dirty pages. The different control
> loops in the system to moderate these things have some 'hidden' assumptions
> that we can launder pages faster than this, so I think we're falling off
> the rails when we can't, even when we have available swap space.

One more test has completed. The Pi3 was configured with 1 GB swap on the
microSD card. It was expected to run out of swap and start the OOM assassin.
Instead, it ran until the swap usage hit a little over 80% and then
traffic with da0d (/usr, likely /usr/obj) got stuck.

Traffic to da0d remained stuck for several sampling cycles, swap
usage dropped to a few percent, and I finally pulled the plug when the
debugger would not start. The console messages are of a sort seen before
and might suggest hardware trouble, but after rebooting and fsck the machine
seems just fine and is running another test. It's completely unclear to me
what triggered the USB stoppage.

The relevant files are at
http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi3/swaptests/newtests/1gbsdflash_swapinfo/
I hope they're useful.