RPI2 boot hangs with red light on

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Thu Jan 4 14:45:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 11:08:06PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> "unable to get device descriptor (error=-22)" is from
> u-boot/blob/master/common/usb.c and its usb_new_device
> routine from what I can tell. It's cause and
> consequences might have contributed to the "Timeout
> poll on interrupt endpoint" messages from u-boot.
>
> May be eliminating all the usb devices that you can
> might sidestep some issue?

Excellent call, removing mouse, keyboard and pl2303TA adapter
eliminate the timeout messages and make the console much
easier to use. Only the USB flash drive holding /usr, /var,
/tmp and swap remains.

It looks as if u-boot and loader are both behaving reasonably;
they respond to commands, with no extraneous output.

A hands-off boot still fails silently with the red LED stuck on,
for both /boot/kernel and /boot/kernel.spare.

/boot/kernel.old, at r327228, _does_ boot, but with errors, like so:

Mounting late filesystems:.
Jan  4 05:38:10 www kernel: pid 502 (cp), uid 0 inumber 53912 on /: filesystem full
Configuring vt: blanktime.
Performing sanity check on sshd configuration.
Starting sshd.
Starting sendmail.
Starting sendmail_msp_queue.
Starting cron.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.

Thu Jan  4 05:38:13 PST 2018

FreeBSD/arm (www.zefox.com) (ttyu0)

login: UFS /dev/ufs/rootfs (/) cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x9e441246 != bp: 0xfa67bf3a
UFS /dev/ufs/rootfs (/) cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x9e441246 != bp: 0xfa67bf3a
handle_workitem_freefile: got error 5 while accessing filesystem

Login on the console worked, repeated fsck -f cycles permitted return
to multi-user without errors.

Sources are now updated to 327548, /boot/kernel.old has been copied over
/boot/kernel.spare and a new cycle of build/install in /usr/src is running.

Thanks _very_ much!

bob prohaska