RPI3 sound for www/chromium, was Re: How much memory to compile www/chromium?

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Dec 19 01:43:36 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:41:44PM +0000, Jamie Landeg-Jones wrote:
> bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
> > Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT=2 allowed www/chromium to compile successfully over
> > several days. The -DBATCH option was used, in hopes it'd fetch the right options.
>
> Use "make config-recursive" before you start. It will present to you upfront all
> the option screens that would appear during the build.
>
> I've noticed it sometimes misses some, if you add some dependency in one of the menus.
> So to be sure, once it's finished its run, if you've made any option changes, run
> it again, and again and again etc.. until you no longer get menus popping up.

That's a good idea provided one knows beforehand which options to select. I very
seldom know which options apply, especially on the first try. After a few failures
my guesses sometimes improve....

In the case of www/chromium it looks like the sound support is wrong, but so far
it isn't obvious which sound option is correct. Would anybody hazard a guess
as to what sound support works on a Pi3?

The clearest hint so far is a report of
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:835:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Cannot open device /dev/dsp
when starting up chrome.

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska