rc.d: all scripts doubled, all have sibbling extended by .pkgnew

O. Hartmann ohartmann at walstatt.org
Fri Dec 14 14:14:47 UTC 2018

Just running 12-STABLE on a PINE64 (pkgBase binaries for the base system), I realised
that all /etc/rc.d scripts are executed twice, resulting in weird errors on the console,
like

[...]
Starting local_unbound.
Waiting for nameserver to start... good
Starting local_unbound.
[1544795142] local-unbound[923:0] error: bind: address already in use
[1544795142] local-unbound[923:0] fatal error: could not open ports
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start local_unbound
Starting rtsold.
Starting rtsold.
Creating and/or trimming log files.
Creating and/or trimming log files.
Starting syslogd.
Starting syslogd.
syslogd: syslogd already running, pid: 1113
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start syslogd
Starting rpcbind.
Starting rpcbind.
rpcbind: another rpcbind is already running. Aborting
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start rpcbind
Starting automountd.
Starting automountd.
automountd: daemon already running, pid: 1167.
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start automountd
Starting autounmountd.
Starting autounmountd.
autounmountd: daemon already running, pid: 1180.
/etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start autounmountd
Clearing /tmp (X related).
Clearing /tmp (X related).
[...]

Checking /etc/rc.d/, I found every rc script herein doubled,, one with the extension
*.pkgnew, so like

[...]
- -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    836 Nov  8 05:21 ubthidhci*
- -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    834 Nov  8 05:21 ubthidhci.pkgnew*
[...]

It is strange: I just build STABLE source tree as of today (14th of December) and updated
the repository accordingly after a full build and did a pkg upgrade on the PINE64, which
sucked in 221 packages (after STABLE branch has created, the target folder is now
appended with the timestamp of the build again, sadly).

What is wrong here? I do see this behaviour the very first time although I built pkgBase
for arm64 since 11-CURRENT/12-CURRENT.

Any advice? or do I do something stupid?

Thansk for help and patience,

Oliver

- --
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder Übermittlung meiner Daten für
Werbezwecke oder für die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (§ 28 Abs. 4 BDSG).