How much memory to compile www/chromium?

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 14 04:59:34 UTC 2018

bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 09:25:04PM +0100, Christoph Moench-Tegeder wrote:
>
>> ## bob prohaska (fbsd at www.zefox.net):

>> > Thank you, I think that's the information needed. Come to think of it,
>> > will the -j option, such as -j2, work in this situation also? Two threads
>> > are much better than one 8-)
>>
>> If you had looked into bsd.port.mk yourself... right below the docs of
>> DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS (line 814) is some documentation for MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER
>> and MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT. -j won't help because there's a lot of
>
> Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT=2 seems to have the desired effect. Still,
> top reports four c++ processes, but only two are running and swap use
> seldom exceeds 1GB at worst. So far, that's been enough to prevent stalling.
>
> Editing /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk looks like it'll affect all ports;
> what's the convention for making the change local to www/chromium only?

MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT is a user variable, so you can either set in
make.conf or Makefile.local e.g.,

$ cat <<\. >>${__MAKE_CONF:-/etc/make.conf}
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/www/chromium}
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER_LIMIT=2
.endif