Serial console of 12.0-ALPHA3 fiddles with the terminal colors

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 27 23:22:17 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Dr. Rolf Jansen <rj at obsigna.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I updated my BeagleBone Black to 12.0-ALPHA3, and now, when booting, the serial console behaves differently (I use cu from a Mac Terminal via a FDTI/USB adapter).
>
> When it comes to "Loading kernel...", the terminal color is inverted, instead of maintaining the usual black on white, all over the sudden everything is displayed in white on black. And more seriously, the logging before loading the kernel, is deleted, which means I cannot see the diagnostics of the u-boot loader.
>
> Is there any setting, to prevent the serial console manipulates color and content of a terminal session?

Hi,

You want loader_color in your loader.conf(5), which should (hopefully)
disable all color while still being usable. We force the color scheme
to white on black if colors are displayed because we can't necessarily
sample or Q/A our color choice on all possible configurations.

I'll double check on the screen clearing... I don't recall adding any
extra clears except for password prompts and (re-)drawing the menu.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans