FBS-12.0-APLHA, messages running portsnap

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 25 15:31:46 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-08-25 at 17:15 +0200, Nicola Mingotti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing some tests with:
> FreeBSD-12.0-ALPHA1-arm-armv7-BEAGLEBONE-20180810-r337557.img
>
> Lunching :
> #> portsnap fetch
>
> I get these messages on the serial console, I can not understand what
> they mean,
> can I ignore them or are they important ?
> ---------------------
>   1st 0xc33c0af0 bufwait (bufwait) @ /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_bio.c:3916
>   2nd 0xd365e000 dirhash (dirhash) @ /usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_dirhash.c:289
> stack backtrace:
> lock order reversal:
>   1st 0xd406e034 ufs (ufs) @ /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_subr.c:2572
>   2nd 0xc33c0af0 bufwait (bufwait) @ /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_vnops.c:282
>   3rd 0xd40ce84c ufs (ufs) @ /usr/src/sys/kern/vfs_subr.c:2572
> stack backtrace:
>
> bye
> Nicola

These are lock order reversal (LOR) warnings. While a LOR is a
potential deadlock, these particular instances are well-known and don't
cause any problems, so you can ignore them. Unfortunately, the
mechanisms that detect and reports these situations make it hard to
turn off the few specific places where the situation is known to be
harmless.

-- Ian