RPI3 swap experiments (grace under pressure)

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Aug 15 22:54:51 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:26:39PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
[eloquent VM discussion snipped]

> So I think what's well tuned for the gear that's in a server doing
> traditional database and/or compute workloads may not be so well tuned for
> the RPi3 when you put NAND that can vary a lot in performance, as well as
> have fast reads and slow writes when the mix isn't that high. The system
> can be tuned to cope, but isn't tuned that way out of the box.
>
> tl;dr: these systems are enough different than the normal system that
> additional tuning is needed where the normal systems work great out of the
> box. Plus some code tuneups may help the algorithms be more dynamic than
> they are today.

When I started this goose chase, after zero problems with RPI2, I thought the
issue was arm64-related and might be of some fundamental importance.

Thanks to many people I now understand it's a confluence of USB and flash memory
artifacts, made evident by the demands of clang6. Elsewhere I noted that I'm seeking
"the robustness of a Mars rover, using a rack server OS on a cellphone motherboard".

8-)

With my thanks to all for much patient good counsel,

bob prohaska