RPI3 swap experiments ["was killed: out of swap space" with: "v_free_count: 5439, v_inactive_count: 1"]

Trev freebsd-arm at sentry.org
Sat Aug 11 23:23:18 UTC 2018

bob prohaska wrote on 12/08/2018 02:32:
> Simply moving all swap to microSD (and leaving vm.pageout_oom_seq at the
> default value of 12) allowed an uneventul -j4 buildworld on r337226M,
> upgrading to r337564M with the patches suggested to date still in place.
> There were no warnings or errors on the console or controlling terminal.
>
> The microSD card used for /root, /tmp and swap is a Sandisk Ultra, supposedly
> a notch or two slower than the Sandisk Extreme USB flash drive that caused
> all the trouble.

Curious, my experience was the opposite - the 16G SanDisk Ultra had OOM
swap issues with -j4 buildworld, whereas the 32G SanDisk Extreme
doesn't. Both cards were new at the time.

Note: in my case all file systems were on the micro-SD card except for
/tmp/ (100M),  /var/tmp (15M) and /var/log (15M) which were memory disks.

I'd retest with the sysctl and patches but I have to be interstate again
for a few days :(