RPI3 swap experiments ["was killed: out of swap space" with: "v_free_count: 5439, v_inactive_count: 1"]

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Thu Aug 9 06:56:33 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 04:48:41PM -0400, Mark Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 08:38:00AM -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
> > The patched kernel ran longer than default but OOMA still halted buildworld around
> > 13 MB. That's considerably farther than a default build world have run but less than
> > observed when setting vm.pageout_oom_seq=120 alone. Log files are at
> > http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi3/swaptests/r337226M/1gbsdflash_1gbusbflash/batchqueue/
> >
> > Both changes are now in place and -j4 buildworld has been restarted.
>
> Looking through the gstat output, I'm seeing some pretty abysmal average
> write latencies for da0, the flash drive.  I also realized that my
> reference to r329882 lowering the pagedaemon sleep period was wrong -
> things have been this way for much longer than that.  Moreover, as you
> pointed out, bumping oom_seq to a much larger value wasn't quite
> sufficient.
>
> I'm curious as to what the worst case swap I/O latencies are in your
> test, since the average latencies reported in your logs are high enough
> to trigger OOM kills even with the increased oom_seq value.  When the
> current test finishes, could you try repeating it with this patch
> applied on top? https://people.freebsd.org/~markj/patches/slow_swap.diff
> That is, keep the non-default oom_seq setting and modification to
> VM_BATCHQUEUE_SIZE, and apply this patch on top.  It'll cause the kernel
> to print messages to the console under certain conditions, so a log of
> console output will be interesting.

The run finished with a panic, I've collected the logs and terminal output at
http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi3/swaptests/r337226M/1gbsdflash_1gbusbflash/batchqueue/pageout120/slow_swap/

There seems to be a considerable discrepancy between the wait times reported
by the patch and the wait times reported by gstat in the first couple of
occurrences. The fun begins at timestamp Wed Aug  8 21:26:03 PDT 2018 in
swapscript.log.

I'll see if Warner's IOSCHED option can be made to work. It wasn't recognized
on the first try.

Thanks for reading, and all your help!

bob prohaska