Booting PINE64-LTS does not work

Marek Zarychta zarychtam at plan-b.pwste.edu.pl
Sat Aug 4 20:24:34 UTC 2018

W dniu 04.08.2018 o 20:35, Ulrich Grey pisze:
> Thank you for the hint and the commit.
> I successfully built an image (12.0-CURRENT r337040) for my board:
> PINE A64 LTS Version V 1.2 2018-01-29
>
> After booting successfully I realized that one USB 2.0 host on the board does not work.
>
> I tried to build FreeBSD 12.0 CURRENT r337282 buildworld on the board, using an external
> USB HD, connected via a D-Link Hub (DUB-H7).
> After some hours, the build failed:
> ##
> ===> lib/clang/liblldb (all)
> <jemalloc>: jemalloc_arena.c:647: Failed assertion: "nstime_compare(&decay->epoch, &time)
> <= 0" c++: error: unable to execute command: Abort trap (core dumped)
> c++: error: clang frontend command failed due to signal (use -v to see invocation)
> FreeBSD clang version 6.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_601/final 335540) (based on LLVM 6.0.1)
> Target: aarch64-unknown-freebsd12.0
> Thread model: posix
> InstalledDir: /usr/bin
> c++: note: diagnostic msg: PLEASE submit a bug report to https://bugs.freebsd.org/submit/
> and include the crash backtrace, preprocessed source, and associated run script. c++:
> note: diagnostic msg: ********************
>
> PLEASE ATTACH THE FOLLOWING FILES TO THE BUG REPORT:
> Preprocessed source(s) and associated run script(s) are located at:
> c++: note: diagnostic msg: /tmp/SBVariablesOptions-d0770a.cpp
> c++: note: diagnostic msg: /tmp/SBVariablesOptions-d0770a.sh
> c++: note: diagnostic msg:
>
> ********************
> --- API/SBVariablesOptions.o ---
> *** [API/SBVariablesOptions.o] Error code 254
> ##
>
> On the console, I got this:
>
> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 693018, size: 4096
> pid 47471 (c++), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
>
> Please see the build log and the diagnostic messages etc. here:
>
> http://ulrich-grey.de/dl/FreeBSD/pineA64ltsErrMsg20180804.tgz

Since I have subscribed to this list I see peoples' overwhelming desire
to build FreeBSD world on small boards consuming 1-3W of power designed
primarily for running lightweight embedded systems. I guess all the
builders are running make world with -j n >= 4 on these boards with
1-2Gb of memory (these processors have usually 4 cores). The build
process is running for some time, let's say 24 hours than it fails due
to exhaustion of memory/swap or other issues. Running it for the next
time will probably lead to the same or different issue.

The waste of time is very frustrating, so people complain here. On the
other hand, the build process takes about 1-2 hours on not so modern
amd64 architecture hardware. So why not cross-build all on the faster
amd64 machine?