[toolchain] lib/clan/llvm.build.mk: Shouldn't BUILD_TRIPLE definition rely host 'cc -dumpmachine'?

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Nov 5 00:21:40 UTC 2017

On 2017-Nov-4, at 3:57 PM, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2017, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
>> Yep --and it is even more complicated: gcc vs. clang are sometimes
>> different for the target listed. . .
>>
>> For example -m32 for amd64 changes the clang result:
>>
>> # clang -dumpmachine
>> x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.0
>>
>> ..
>>
>> # gcc7 -dumpmachine
>> x86_64-portbld-freebsd12.0
>
> That's not actually related to GCC, but the lang/gcc* ports using
> the FreeBSD Ports Collection's default that explicitly set
>
>  CONFIGURE_TARGET?=  ${ARCH}-portbld-${OPSYS:tl}${OSREL}
>
> By default GCC would use the same as clang.

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks.

We still end up with depending on --dumpmachine giving
non-uniform results across typical compilers in a
standard FreeBSD environment. It looks like depending
on -dumpmachine should be avoided for any more than a
local workaround.

(Some Linux distributions might also vary such
definitions to be non-default as well for all
I know.)

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net