Creating armv7 MACHINE_ARCH

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jun 12 15:39:06 UTC 2017

Clearly, we woke up one day and realized Ian was right? And he's only been
saying it since pre R11 since that was the first release that supported it.
There was no armv6 support in 10. Ask a snarky question, get a snarky
answer...

What's changed is that the port has gone from being mainly used by people
that had an rpi that supported a bunch of other platforms (including Ian's
iMX6) to a port that's used primarily by armv7 machines (including the
rpi2) that also happens to support the rpi (which is the only !armv7
platform). When Ian started saying it, rpi was one of the better supported
platforms as well. Now with all the Allwinner support, improved iMX6
support, and the rpi2 being armv7, we are now in a situation where most
users and most of the good support is on that platform. What's also changed
is Andrew's work on having a GENERIC kernel. We'd have a GENERIC one for
ARMv6 too: It's the RPI config :).

Plus, we aren't quite doing what Ian wanted. He wanted a full rename. The
proposal on the able is to add an armv7 TARGET_ARCH in 12. Not to rename or
remove armv6. Sadly, that will still be there since the RPI foundation
keeps finding new ways to repackage the rpi into new boards that are just
too cheap to ignore.

Warner